The T.G.Sports (1955)

ROAD REGISTRATION        -     ( worldwide compliance requirements )

Road Registration


All vehicles built in Australia have to meet the intent of the ADR'S (Australian Design Rules).
Because the TG Sports is built by the individual it comes under the classification of "individually constructed vehicle" rules which are administered by each State. These rules can vary from state to state. Generally speaking the rules are less strigent than the full ADR'S as the authoritories recognise that these cars are not going to be built in any large volume.
Within each state there are certifying engineerers who inspect the build at varying stages to ensure that the vehicle will comply with the ADR'S
When building your TG Sports talk to us for contact to these certifiers as we have a manual which assists their inspection.
If you wish to have a vehicle built for you contact us as a different set of rules may apply.


Virtualy the same as Australia except that we only have LTSA to set the rules.
It is most important to contact us re certifiers as there are 2 classes of certifiers and it can be expensive if you get the wrong one.



This can be best explained by the following article.


(Page 70 KIT CAR NOVEMBER 2000)



I have spoken with several sellers of kit cars concerning their registration. Their advice boiled down to misrepresenting the car's true nature so they could pass as an older car from a large Manufacturer. If you have ever dealt with the question of importation of a kit car, or registration in the United States of one built here from the standpoint of what legal DOT and EPA requirements it must meet, could I obtain that issue? If not, will you deal with it?
Tom Oleson
Gig Harbor, WA

You may not have been given such bad advice, depending on the nature of the kit. If its a rebody of an existing chassis, there's no need to register it under another name. For instance, a Fiero or VW rebody is still a Fiero or VW as far as the legal requirements are concerned. However, you will need to let your insurance company know about the rebody to cover your investment should the worst occur. Also, kit car registration varies by state. Some have relatively strict requirements and others will let you register a replica as the real thing, complete with period license plates. Most will be more interested in your engine than your chassis. Most states require the engine to meet emissions specifications in effect at the time your engine, not your chassis, was first built. California is even more strict and some regulations are ludicrous. Emissions regulations may even vary from city to city within a state.

As for the DOT, it does not have regulations that apply to kit cars, per se. However, any manufacturer of car parts is required to use components that pass the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FM VSS). These items include brake hoses, tires, brake fluids, glazing materials, seat-belts, and lighting systems. Unless the kit was supplied by the manufacturer with an engine and gearbox, it would be considered as a collection of auto parts, not a complete automobile that would have to meet all the FM VSS.

The same goes for importing a kit. Do not have an engine and tranny shipped with your kit or you may run afoul of the regulations. If you intend to buy a used kit for importation, be aware that if it's more than 25 years old, it does not have to meet any DOT regulations. However, importing a fully assembled but used kit that's newer than that will be subject to DOT regulations that apply to gray-market cars. They can be brought in only through DOT-approved importers and must be brought into compliance before use.

The EPA will not be involved with your kit as long as you do not purchase it overseas in turnkey form. Once again, do not buy an engine with your kit if you plan to import it to the US. The state regulations are much more problematic than the DOT ones. Consult with your state department of transportation before purchase to check for any potential problems. Most can provide you with a list of items that will be checked at inspection. You may be required to attend a hearing before they will give you a chassis number, and you'll probably need bills of sale for major used components such as the engine and tranny.

In the case of kits supplied with a chassis (i.e. Cobra), the kit manufacturer will provide a chassis number and a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin that will usually take care of everything. Your car will be inspected and given a "sniffer" emissions test depending on the year of the engine (and the state in which you live). Rest assured that thousands of kits are sold in the United States every year and they are not being registered under false pretenses.



In the UK there are a set of regulations called the SVA's. (Single Vehicle Approval)
Various items have to be changed on the vehicle to comply but we do that before it is shipped to you.
Generally speaking the SVA's are not as tough as the Australian and New Zealand regulations so you will receive a vehicle that has all the added safety features required by our laws but not by yours.